March 25, 2014
Biodynamics is a spiritual-ethical-ecological approach to agriculture, food production and nutrition, developed in the early 1920s based on the spiritual insights and practical suggestions of the Austrian writer, educator and social activist Dr. Rudolf Steiner (1861-1925). Today, the biodynamic movement encompasses thousands of successful gardens, farms, vineyards and agricultural operations of all kinds and sizes on all continents.
The Biodynamic Association (BDA) is an association of individuals and groups in North America who are committed to the transformation of the whole food system, from farm to table, and who draw inspiration from the insights of Rudolf Steiner. Founded in 1938, the BDA is considered to be the oldest alternative agriculture organization in North America. For more information about the BDA, visit www.biodynamics.com.
The Program Assistant is a part-time position in our Milwaukee office which provides administrative support for the Biodynamic Association’s growing slate of programs, conferences and events, as well as fundraising. See the attached document for a full job description.
We are seeking a bright, motivated candidate with an interest in a career in food and farming systems to step into this role. Successful candidates will demonstrate:
● Excellent organizational skills
● Great communication and friendly demeanor
● Exceptional attention to detail
● Strong writing, editing and research ability
● Proficiency with computers (MS Word, Excel and internet; website management and databases a plus)
● Ability to manage multiple tasks and work independently
● Experience working in an office environment
● An associate’s or bachelor’s degree in a relevant field
● Knowledge of or desire to learn about biodynamic agriculture
● Availability for occasional evening conference calls and travel within the United States (1-3 trips/yr)
Compensation and Benefits
We strive to create a dynamic, supportive and flexible work environment that can allow each employee to realize their creative potential in their work for the Association. This is a part-time, 20 hour per week position located at our main office in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Telecommuting is not an option. There is potential for the position to increase to full time with additional administrative responsibilities for the right candidate. Pay is commensurate with experience at a nonprofit rate, with opportunities for performance-based raises.
Application Guidelines, Process and Timeline
The Biodynamic Association is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, people of all sexual orientations and gender identity, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
To apply, send an email with the subject “Program Assistant - <Your Name>” to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include all of the following in one PDF attachment with your full name as the file name:
● a cover letter describing why you are interested working with the Biodynamic Association and what strengths you would bring to this position
● your resume
● three references
This position is open until filled, and applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, beginning immediately. All applications received by April 15 will be given full consideration. For any questions about the position, please email email@example.com