General Job Description:
The Hawthorne Valley Visiting Students and Summer Camp Program seek a Summer CampDirector to live on site and operate its small residential summer camp program for ages 8 to 15 andassist in the operation of our school year program. This program is an integral part of the HawthorneValley Association. We are located on a 400 acre biodynamic farm.
• Sleep away camp management experience
• A minimum of 3 years of educator experience in the field of residential farm and natureeducation and/or outdoor education
• Practical farm animal and garden experience and knowledge
• Experience in hiring, supervising and training staff to lead program activities
• Ability to mentor and coach all camp staff
• Strong communication and organizational skills required to carry out the daily and seasonaleducational programming needs
• Experience in leading hands-on children activities
• Experience in Waldorf education/biodynamic farming
• A personal passion, energy, and drive to enthusiastically run summer camp and work with children
• Manage all aspects of a six-week sleep away summer camp on the farm for ages 8 to 15
• Provide a nurturing, responsive environment to campers, visiting school children and theirteachers and chaperones
• Hire, train, supervise, mentor and coach seasonal staff members
• Summer camp budget oversight
• Perform necessary background work to insure smooth running of programs, including animalcare, facilities oversight, outreach to parents and teachers, and coordinating with otherHawthorne Valley Association endeavors.
• Carry out seasonal and place-based residential farm and nature activities
• Create and perform outreach and recruitment strategies to ensure full camp sessions
• Live on campus in program provide year round housing facility
• Be available to address after-hours program needs including weekends
Compensation is based on experience and includes housing, health insurance package, paid vacation,holidays, personal and sick leave. To apply, please send a cover letter, resume and contact informationfor three work references to Helen@hawthornevalleyfarm.org or fax to (518) 672-7608 or mail to:Hawthorne Valley Farm, Main House, 327 Route 21C, Ghent, NY 12075 Attn: Helen, for moreinformation please call (518) 672-4790 or visit our website at www.hawthornevalleyfarm.org.