Savanna Gardens, LLC is is excited to host its first Permaculture Design Course at New Forest Farm, a 100-acre perennial food forest farm nestled in the hills of Southwestern Wisconsin’s Driftless region. Using nature as a model, Restoration Agriculture is the intentional restoration of healthy, functional ecosystems as the context for economically-viable farm operations. Perennial crops, livestock, fungus, and pollinators are integrated to produce abundant food, fiber, and fuel and simultaneously restore critical ecosystem services such as carbon sequestration, water purification and infiltration, nutrient cycling, and biodiversity. In addition to the basic elements of Permaculture design, our certified curriculum is expanded to cover the design, development, and management of farm-scale agricultural ecosystems.
- Full immersion in the theory and practice of Restoration Agriculture
- Keyline design, earthworks, and water management
- Perennial crop establishment, maintenance, and breeding
- Pruning, coppicing, and grafting
- Integrated multi-species grazing
- Renewable energy on the farm
- Restoration Agriculture economics
- History and ecology of Midwestern ecosystems
Participants will have the opportunity to experience life at New Forest Farm, one of North America's largest and most innovative perennial farm ecosystems located in Wisconsin's incomparable Driftless region. You will have the opportunity to observe and participate in many aspects of farm design and management including keyline design, livestock management, and the maintenance of perennial crops.