Farmer Training Program Assistant
Angelic Organics Learning Center
About Angelic Organics Learning Center:
Founded in 1998, Angelic Organics Learning Center is a non-profit organization that helps urban and rural people build local food systems; grow healthy food and a better quality of life; connect with farmers and the land, and learn agricultural and leadership skills, through programs at partner farms and urban growing sites in northern Illinois and southern Wisconsin.
About our Farmer Training Initiative:
Angelic Organics Learning Center’s Farmer Training Initiative supports and serves beginning and sustainable farmers through farmer-led trainings in production and business planning. Our staff coordinates programs and activities on behalf of the Upper Midwest Collaborative Regional Alliance for Farmer Training (CRAFT). Our goal is to help beginning farmers improve the economic viability of their farms by supporting a vibrant community of practice, while helping individual farmers deepen their set of financial management tools and increase access to affordable capital.
About the Position:
We are currently seeking Farmer Training Program Assistant at 50-100% time to cover the following roles:
- Providing office and in-person support for programs, including preparing supplies, communicating with participants, and coordinating record keeping.
- Producing and distributing the CRAFT eNewsletter and annual handbook
- Fielding inquiries on behalf of our farmer training programs and services (phone, email, in person)
- Updating the farmer training webpages and resource lists.
- Coordinating enrollment of CRAFT membership, data entry and tracking for the department.
- Additional roles may include coordinating aspects of emerging and existing projects.
Compensation will range between $9.50 and $13.50 per hour, and will be commensurate with experience; employees working at least 75% time qualify for health insurance, paid time off, and other benefits as per our Employee Handbook.
Ideal candidates will have qualifications and experience pertinent to the position, such as:
- Experience with sustainable agriculture and farmers; excellent abilities to build 1 on 1 and group relationships with beginning farmers;
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and project coordination.
- Reliable self-starter.
- Communicative team player
Successful candidates will also have:
- The following demonstrated qualities: highly organized, flexible and adaptable, reliable and hardworking, ability to take initiative and to manage multiple priorities; ability to work with big picture and details; ability to be flexible and hold standards.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and and oral communications skills.
- Qualities of patience, compassion, approachability, responsiveness, positivity, and open mindedness. Ability to make casual conversation, connect with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Willingness to be hands-on and get dirty, uncomfortable, and/or silly.
- A commitment to the Learning Center’s work to build local food systems and its partnership with Angelic Organics, a Biodynamic Community Supported Agriculture farm.
- A current drivers license; CPR and First Aid certification required (training provided)
- Mac and Internet literacy, and proficiency using Microsoft suite and Google Drive.
- Ability to work from the Caledonia, IL office and to travel to periodic meetings and events, occasionally during evenings/weekends.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to use force or lift up to 5-25 pounds; infrequently up to 50 pounds in farm setting or moving equipment.
AOLC is an Equal Opportunity employer. Personnel are chosen on the basis of ability without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, marital status or sexual orientation, in accordance with federal and state law. We offer competitive salary and benefits but, most of all, the opportunity to contribute to an organization whose mission builds sustainable local food and farm systems through experiential education and training programs in partnership with rural and urban people.
To Apply: Please familiarize yourself with our website at www.learngrowconnect.org. Qualified candidates please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com, indicating your preferences for number of hours per week (20-40). We will begin screening applications on July 15, though will continue to receive applications until filled. We’d appreciate all documents sent in PDF or Word format and “Farmer Training Program Assistant” included in the subject line item of the email. We look forward to receiving your information. No phone inquiries please.