A leader in biodynamic agriculture, Camphill Village's gardens and farm reflect the cyclical aspect of nature that coincides with community festivals. The Village is a model for sustainable living and social renewal. You will be asked to become part of a team of co-workers and adults with developmental differences who live and work together. The Garden Manager is expected to live in a life sharing house and be fully integrated into a house community and the wider community.
The Garden Manager is responsible for the production of vegetables for the community whilst managing a team of coworkers to create a therapeutic work environment for their peers with developmental differences. It is the responsibility of the Garden Manager to work with the community to determine the size of production. This is based on a balance between the skills of the garden manager, the needs of the community and the other financial, human and land resources that are currently available.
• Manage 4.5 acres of organically grown vegetables
• Work alongside crews of people who have a range of abilities
• Develop a garden plan with the community based on needs and resources
• Complete state mandated and Camphill specific training
Qualifications and Skills
• Vegetable production experience (minimum one year)
• Experience working with people with developmental differences (minimum one year)
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Ability to lift 50+ pounds
• Ability to set goals and make an assessment of successes and how to better achieve goals in the next growing season
• Experience with tractor and equipment operation and maintenance preferred
You will be given a single room, board, monthly allowance, and medical insurance from your arrival until your departure. Dental and vision coverage is not provided for the first year of volunteer service. For a one year commitment, 3 weeks vacation time is provided.
How to apply:
See what our coworkers have to say about Camphill Village. https://vimeo.com/254012611