Position/title: Gardens Coordinator (Inside Position)
Reports to: Vineyard Manager (Inside)
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Employment Status: Full time position
Approved Date: September 2017
About Eco Terreno
Companies, like great wines, are not just produced; rather they are carefully cultivated. We are seeking passionate individuals to join our team at Eco Terreno where we employ our experience in winemaking with time honored traditions in a healthy respect for the land. With 140-acres of Biodynamically- and organically-certified land, planted primarily to vineyards in Alexander Valley near Cloverdale, we are one of the leading wine farms in Northern California.
Under the direction of the Vineyard manager and other Eco Terreno Vineyards (ETV) leadership team, assist with duties required to maintain the company’s Biodynamic garden programs. Key responsibilities will entail: capacity to engage in ways to prototype and build out the existing/planned gardens, growing the potential of the gardens as value-added product for future direct-to-consumer sales and maintaining current garden spaces.
Gardens and Insectaries Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Take direction from Vineyard Manager to ensure all garden operations, are completed in accordance with direction from ETV leadership.
• Assist in planning and completing capital development projects relating to garden areas (e.g., planting new spaces, building garden infrastructure).
• Design, build and implement a greenhouse program, including the construction of the greenhouse facility.
• Catalog all plants and maintain records of farming practices.
• Follow irrigation schedules to meet growth and plant quality expectations. Follow any irrigation work orders.
• Assist with all biodynamic activities, including preps and certifications as directed.
• Plan, prototype, and scale animal husbandry programs, integrating business practices into a working farm system.
• Conduct and report fruit tree nutrition status through processes as needed and directed.
• Integrate and evaluate plant and soil nutrition data and develop effective plant nutrition programs along the philosophical lines of Eco Terreno’s practices.
• Complete Fertilization Work Orders as directed; as needed, follow-up and evaluate the effectiveness of fertilizer applications.
• Monitor gardens for pest, diseases, nutrition and plant health.
• Coordinate garden programs in conjunction with vineyard programs and practices.
• Participate in vineyard program work as needed/directed.
• Education/Experience: BS in a Plant Science-related Field (Preferred) & minimum of a comprehensive gardening experience; 3+ years.
• Familiarity with biodynamics, organic and perma-culture practices as well as with greenhouse growing practices.
• Working knowledge of a farm growing system, including the distribution and transportation of produce (preferred).
• Knowledge: Good knowledge of diverse plantings and integrated cropping/planting systems, plant physiology, morphology, and water relations. Knowledge of soils, soil chemistry, plant nutrition, and pest management.
• Strong observational skills.
• A healthy dose of humor.
• The ability to work and contribute as a team member.
• Willingness to work and grow in all capacities that a growing wine farm requires.
• Other: Must possess a valid driver’s license and meet the company’s automobile insurance requirements. Forklift operations certificate (preferred).
• Fluent in English (Required) and Spanish (Preferred). Strong oral communication skills. Ability to read and interpret documents such as vineyard work order documents and scripts and to write routine report/spreadsheets and correspondence.
• Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
• Intermediate Skills: Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
• Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook (or equivalent programs preferred)
• The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, climb stairs, talk, hear, taste and smell. Must possess vision, hearing and sufficient digital manipulation skills to utilize a farming equipment. The employee is frequently required to climb and balance, stoop, kneel and crouch. The employee must be able to frequently lift and carry up to 50 lbs.
• The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Most duties will be performed outdoors, including garden and vineyard facilities.
To apply for this position, please send an email (cover letter) to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following:
Subject: Garden Coordinator & [your full name]
Please attach your current resume as a PDF with the file name: [Your Full Name] Resume
Email email@example.com with any questions. No phone calls please.