United Natural Foods (UNFI) in Sturtevant, Wisconsin (near Racine) is seeking a self-motivated organic farmer (or team) to independently manage up to 10 acres of organic vegetable production. UNFI’s goal is to provide an organic farmer land access in exchange for providing organic food and agricultural education to our community.
The successful candidate will be an entrepreneurial self-starter, be extremely comfortable and effective in engaging with the public, and have an understanding of the values of local organic foods to the economic, social and environmental health of the region. Interested candidates must have prior experience in organic farm production and CSA’s in the upper Midwest.
This is an amazing opportunity for a motivated individual or team who is passionate about farming and the benefits of organic agriculture. The individual will manage the 10-acre vegetable production as an independent business. Production will encompass providing a CSA for UNFI associates and the surrounding community. UNFI associates will be the primary consumers of the CSA and the nearby community will be secondary. Pricing will be determined by the operator and UNFI may contribute to offset the cost for its associates.
The 10-acre parcel has been planted in cover crop to increase soil fertility and is ready for organic certification. Lease/rent options will be very reasonable and negotiable based on the business plan submitted. The possibility to expand into full 10-acre production is flexible as the client base grows outside of UNFI.
Responsibilities Will Include:
• Management of the farm’s production and marketing
• Work with a National Organic Program (NOP) accredited third party certifier to obtain organic certification (UNFI will pay the certification costs).
• Maintain accurate records as needed and manage organic certification.
• Develop production plans for crops to supply an active CSA.
• Develop and implement a farm marketing plan that includes CSA and possible other outlets
• Research and implement soil improvement and climate-friendly farming practices.
• Use organic best-management practices to grow healthy and productive organic crops.
• Harvest and distribute farm products through CSA.
• Possible expansion into meat and egg production and sales as business plan expands.
• Help educate UNFI associates on the benefits of local organic food and agriculture
Qualifications and Experience:
Our ideal farmer has strong farm and organizational skills. He/she will be experienced in working with the public, will have worked on or operated a successful small farm business and will be highly organized. Flexibility, sensitivity, strong communication, time-management and people skills are essential. This position also requires the ability to work well independently. In addition, the candidate should be creative, self-directed and be ready to create and implement a business plan for financial success.
The following are highly recommended:
• Minimum 2 years experience in organic agricultural production.
• Minimum 2 years experience working with or managing a CSA.
• Broad foundation of knowledge and experience related to organic farming.
• Direct experience developing and managing complex on-the-ground operations.
• Strong and dynamic public relations skills.
For inquiries on this opportunity, please email resume or contact Melody Meyer at firstname.lastname@example.org