Hawthorne Valley Farm’s artisan bakery produces a full line of organic breads and pastries every day for sale in our onsite store and at five weekly farmers’ markets throughout New York City. We are located on a 600 acre bio-dynamic farm, 2 hours north of New York City. There are two employment opportunities available, one for Full Time Baker Position and one for Baker Assistant.
JOIN US as we make yeasted and sourdough breads (ask us about Henry, our 30 year old sourdough starter) as well as a full line of pastries. We mill flour on site to ensure freshness and quality and grow an increasing amount of the grain we use right here on the farm.
This is one of the rare places where a baker can gain experience producing all types of products from scratch in a hands-on environment, while also interacting with customers on a daily basis.
WE LOOK FORWARD TO HEARING FROM YOU! To learn more, and apply, visit: http://hawthornevalley.org/about/employment/#store
Each staff member is asked to help create an environment which encourages respect, honesty and trust amongst all co-workers and also offers the highest degree of quality products to our customers. Each staff member is asked to help maintain the bakery as an ethical and positive place to work. In addition the Hawthorne Valley Bakery is committed to being an educational resource to the community on ecological, environmental and food related issues.
FULL TIME BAKER POSITON
PURPOSE: To assist the bakery manager and co-workers in the production of products to meet sales, margin and labor goals.
STATUS: Reports to Bakery Manager
• Bread production including mixing, caring for pre-ferments, scaling, kneading and shaping, proofing and baking of dough’s as well as milling of grains.
• Proficiency at pastry cart set up
• A capability to produce all bakery formulas
• Participate in lot tracking and stocking of inventory including flours and grains
• Participate in packing and invoicing orders
• Participate in cleaning, maintaining and sanitation of equipment and work spaces
• Participate in educational endeavors that support Hawthorne Valley Farm missions
• Well-organized, pays attention to detail
• Demonstrated ability to follow through on commitments
• Demonstrated ability to handle multiple demands
• Ability to do manual work in a production environment, be able to lift 50lbs., move pallets with a pallet jack, stand for an 8 hour shift
• Good communication skills
• Willingness and ability to learn and grow to meet the changing requirements of the job
• Minimum of five years of professional baking experience, or a culinary degree in Baking and Pastry Arts
• Salary commensurate with experience
• Full Hawthorne Valley Association benefits package
Hawthorne Valley Farm, 327 Route 21C, Ghent, NY 12075