Under the direction of the Vineyard manager and other Eco Terreno Vineyards (ETV) leadership team, assist with duties required to maintain the company’s Biodynamic Viticultural vineyard programs. Key responsibilities will entail: helping to maintain good viticultural farming practices, leading to the production of the highest quality grapes possible and assisting in the maintenance of vineyard facilities.
Vineyard Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Follow irrigation schedules to meet canopy growth and fruit quality expectations. Follow Irrigation Work Orders.
- Take direction from Vineyard Manager to ensure all vineyard operations, including operations completed by Vineyard Management Compan(ies) are completed in accordance with direction from ETV leadership
- Supervise workers during harvest operations and work with crews as directed
- Bring samples to Vinquiry and bring reports to Vineyard Manager and Owner as directed
- Assist in planning and completing capital development projects (e.g., planting, vineyard infrastructure)
- Create all biodynamic activities, including preps and certifications as directed
- Assist in supervising all vineyard workers as directed
Vine and Soil Nutrition Programs
- Conduct and report vine nutrition status through periodic petiole samples.
- Measure and report soil nutrition status through periodic soil samples.
- Integrate and evaluate vine and soil nutrition data and develop effective vine nutrition programs.
- Complete Fertilization Work Orders as directed; as needed, follow-up and evaluate the effectiveness of fertilizer applications.
Integrated Pest Management Program
- Monitor vineyard blocks for pest, diseases, nutrition and vine health.
- Complete Pesticide Application Work Orders as needed. Monitor pesticide applications to insure proper application. Follow-up and evaluate the effectiveness of pest control programs under direction of Vineyard Manager.
- Report the information flow of pesticide applications and proper reporting to customers and government agencies as directed.
- With Vineyard manager, ensure chemical inventory is maintained and facilitate ordering of chemicals and fertilizers.
Field Viticulture Data Collection Program
- As directed, supervise, train, motivate and supervise Viticulture Technicians in the collection and reporting of data.
- Ensure viticultural, yield component, phenological, weather and fruit chemistry data is collected and reported in an accurate and timely manner.
- Work closely with the Viticulture Leadership & Team to ensure the integrity of the Viticulture Database and the availability of information required by other users and customers.
- Review and maintain all records of pesticide applications as directed. Facilitate pesticide training and safety programs. Ensure MSDS and pesticide label information is available to applicators and supervisors.
- Organize and report viticultural data to support farming, marketing and business plans. Assist in the development and maintenance of Viticulture Plans, annual Vintage Summary and other viticultural reports.
- Education/Experience: 3+ years (vineyard experience preferred)
- Skills: Fluent in Spanish and English (preferred). Strong oral and communication skills (preferred). Capability & desire to learn relevant vineyard computer skills, including spreadsheets, word processing, and database programs.
- Knowledge: Good knowledge of vine physiology, phenology, morphology, and water relations (preferred). Knowledge of soils, soil chemistry, plant nutrition, and pest management (preferred).
- Other: Must possess a valid driver’s license and meet the company’s automobile insurance requirements. Forklift operations certificate (preferred)
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as sales documents and scripts and to write routine report/spreadsheets and correspondence.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
- Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook (or equivalent programs)
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, climb stairs, talk, hear, taste and smell. Must possess vision, hearing and sufficient digital manipulation skills to utilize a farming, winemaking, and bottling equipment. The employee is frequently required to climb and balance, stoop, kneel and crouch. The employee must be able to frequently lift and carry up to 50 lbs.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Most duties will be performed outdoors, including vineyard and crush facilities.