Join the Place Based Learning Center at Hawthorne Valley Farm as an Educational Intern! Experience our diversified Biodynamic® dairy farm, while guiding children through hands-on, farm-based activities. The rhythms of nature and farm life take children beyond the classroom. Awakening to the environment, children rediscover the joys of learning and working together.
We are located in Upstate New York in the beautiful Hudson Valley, 2 ½ hours from Manhattan. Our program offers: Farming and Gardening Classes for the Hawthorne Valley Waldorf School grades 1-8; Week-long residential Waldorf-based immersion experience to class grades 3 through 10 for both Waldorf and private schools (resuming overnight programming in January 2022); Overnight and Day Camp in the summer for campers aged 8-16.
Interns and full-time Program Managers lead farm-based learning activities such as baking bread, cleaning the barn, gardening, riding horses, animal care, preparing meals, exploring our woods, farm and nature based crafts, and many other activities. All staff members are responsible for nurturing the physical, emotional, social and spiritual well-being of each child. Interns share the Main House living space with the visiting classes and summer camp and eat meals with the children when overnight programs are in session.
This internship is a meaningful way to gain knowledge and insight about Waldorf education, Biodynamic agriculture, and residential education. Compensation includes room and partial board (organic mostly vegetarian meals) plus an $1,000 per month stipend. Housing is small and cannot accommodate partners, children or pets of this candidate. If you are at least 21 years of age, enjoy working with children, have a love of the outdoors, animals and farm life, consider joining us!
The dates of the Fall 2021 –Summer 2022 Internship are August 23, 2021 – August 19, 2022
- Lead place-based residential farm and nature activities on a daily basis with groups of children with the visiting students’ program and summer camps, when in session.
- Assist with farming and gardening classes for grades 1-8 at the Hawthorne Valley Waldorf School.
- Provide a nurturing and responsive environment to students, guests, and other staff members.
- Share daily and weekend animal and garden care and periodic weekend programming.
- Experience working with children in an outdoor setting and leading hands-on activities.
- A good work ethic with an ability to be flexible, work as a team member.
- Strong communication and organizational skills.
- Ability to live on campus in shared living quarters.
- The ability to lift and carry 50 lbs.
- Practical knowledge of farming, animal care, gardening, and interest in Waldorf education is a plus.
- A personal passion, energy and drive to enthusiastically work with children.
- Age of 21 or older.
Please complete this Application for Employment and email a letter of interest, a current resume and contact information for 3 work references (preferably employers who have seen you working with children) to Matt Davis. For more information, please call Matt Davis at (518) 672-4465, ext. 201. Interview process is starting NOW and will continue until all candidates are selected.