Position Summary: The Aquaponics Extension Coordinator will be responsible for implementing extension programming for the "Sustainable Aquaculture Production of High Omega-3-Containing-Fish Using a Novel Feed Additive (Hemp) project and coordinate and manage the college's new aquaponics facility. The Coordinator will also be responsible for for the supervision of student workers within the facility. Responsible for outreach and educating the community on the practice of aquaponics and its ability to provide a healthy sustainable food option in rural communities.
Position Responsibilities & Duties:
- Manage and coordinate an aquaponics system on the CMN Keshena campus that will educate the community on producing locally grown foods in an alternative sustainable process.
- Procure all supplies and equipment necessary to ensure productive growth of the program.
- Supervise student workers who are hired to maintain aquaponics system and assist with engagement of the community.
- Coordinate community outreach activities and field days providing exposure of aquaponics and a better understanding of its benefits in producing locally grown food.
- Coordinate tours of CMN aquaponics facility and distribute fact sheets.
- Compile best practices for disbursement fish and produce to community member through local season farmers market, Tribal Food Distribution, restaurants, and possibly community supported agriculture.
- Work with partners to create collaborative efforts with local high schools and 4-H groups.
- Work with college staff and faculty to develop curriculum for an aquaponics certificate program that will be approved by the Committee on Academic Quality and offered to the community.
- Work with project team to evaluate success of programming and update as necessary.
- Proficient computer skills, including experience with Microsoft Office.
- Other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications:To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelors degree in horticulture, agriculture, biology, fisheries, natural resources or community education related field.
- Must possess and be able to demonstrate a professional and collegial personality.
- Must be a strategic thinker and understand the ability to work as a team and shared leadership.
- Bachelors degree in horticulture, agriculture, biology, natural resources or community related field, plus five years experience.
- Experience working with community groups and community education.
- Knowledge of aquaculture or aquaponics had have worked in an aquaculture facility or in a fisheries related field.
Reporting to this Position: Student Workers
Physical Demands & Work Environment:
Physical demands are classified as Light: lifting no more than 20 pounds at a time with frequent lifting or carrying of objects weighing up to 10 pounds, with frequent walking, standing or sitting most of the time with some pushing and pulling of arm or leg controls.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Performs teaching or instructing Functions - FrequentlyExposure to office/class room environment - OccasionallyExposure to shop or maintenance environment - Occasionally
Tools & Equipment Used: With training, a basic understanding of aquaponics and running an aquaponics system.
A complete application includes:
- Letter of Interest
- Current Resume
- Completed CMN application form (available under job opportunities at http://www.menominee.edu/about-cmn/career-opportunities)
- Copy of all college level transcripts (official transcripts required upon hired)
- Three professional letters of reference
- Copy of valid WI driver license
- Proof of relevant certificates or training
- Proof of Tribal enrollment status
- Proof of honorable or general military discharge paperwork (if applicable)
It is not the responsibility of CMN to notify applicants of missing documentation. Incomplete application packets will not be considered.
Application materials can be mailed to:
College Of Menominee NationAttn: Human ResourcesP.O. Box 1179Keshena, WI 54135
orEmail to: email@example.com
An online application is available at: http://www.menominee.edu/about-cmn/career-opportunities
NOTE: Pre-employment drug testing is part of the hiring process. EOE/MITW 82-10