Title: Director of Certification
Reports to: Demeter Board of Directors
Time Requirement: Full Time
Responsibilities: The Director of Certification is responsible for oversight and administration of all aspects of the certification process; to ensure adherence to all Demeter International requirements; and to develop and implement new certification policies and procedures as needed. We are looking for an experienced candidate with in-depth familiarity, expertise, and passion for Biodynamic Agriculture.
- Ensures certification process adheres to established policies & procedures as detailed in the Quality Manual
- Manages Certification Specialists, Member Services Coordinator and independent contractors (Inspectors)
- Manages certification decisions and decisions documents (CER/ECD).
- Coordinate and assists in the development of policies and procedures for all aspects of the certification program.
Certification Program Management
- Oversight and management of the certification process for new applicants and renewals.
- Assists in the development of, and maintains the highest service standards for, the overall certification process from an applicant and licensee standpoint.
- Ensures adherence to established metrics from qualified lead/ renewal through certification.
- Coordinates and assists in the development and organization of, and adherence to, internal policies, guidance documents, and policies & procedures.
- Maintains effective communication with the Certification Specialists and Member Services Coordinator as needed to ensure the highest level of service to prospective licensees during the certification process.
- Interfaces with Business Manager to ensure timely payment of member certification fees.
- Ensures all documentation is regularly updated and current.
- Ensures all applicant and licensee documentation is filed correctly.
- Manages export compliance documentation for certification client.
- Oversees and reviews certification decisions and adverse actions.
- Assists with the development of the annual budget and ensure the department stays within budget.
- Oversees accreditations and reporting and audits, including responses to and closing out of audit findings (both internal and external).
- Oversees investigations and complaints and refers to the Board where appropriate.
- Ensures compliance with all governmental bodies and accreditation authorities.
- Coordinate the Standards Committee and monitors and implements changes in certification standards and procedures.
- Continues to improve Salesforce and the FileMaker Pro database to ensure the most efficient and cost-effective use of IT resources database.
- Familiarity with USDA Organic Standards and international equivalencies
- Hiring, training, and separation of certification staff and independent contractors.
- Conducts performance evaluations of certification staff and independent contractors.
- With the Member Services Coordinator and Inspection Coordinator, maintain a sufficient pool of competent inspectors and prospective inspectors.
- With General Manager, manage and facilitate professional development and training opportunities.
- Manage meetings and communications amongst certification personnel.
Meetings, Conferences and external partners
- Lead the twice-weekly team meetings
- Attend and represent Demeter USA at the Demeter International Members Assembly
- Coordinate the relevant certification aspects for the annual member's assembly
- Annual attendance at BDA Conference
- Attend the Fellowship of Preparation Makers Conference
- Connect and develop strong relationships with key organizations (BDA, JPI, USDA, etc)
- Collaboration, Accountability, and Transparency to the Board of Directors and greater Biodynamic producer, processor and consumer community
Salary and Benefits:
- $70-80K annually, depending on experience
- Competitive benefits plan
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience.
- IOIA certification preferred.
- Minimum 5 years of certification experience
- Experience with managing employees, leadership and organizational development.
- Strong ability to maintain the confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Execution focused – drives insights and ideas to implementation and action in a timely manner.