We seek a farm manager at Lokelani 'Ohana, a 16 year old non-profit, based in Hawaiian Culture and inspired by the Camphill Movement which creates socially therapeutic programs including housing, organic gardening, and the arts for our Maui community, including adults with developmental disabilities. Our 1.29 acre farm is on old Hawaiian Land with Kuleana (local water rights from Waihe'e River) and provides an accessible, serene and inspirational environment. www.lokelaniohana.org
Thank you for your interest in joining our community.
Requirements (e.g. age, language, education, experience, personal qualities)
- Biodynamic experience required. Training and/or certification preferred.
- Mature with good social and communication skills.
- Excellent management skills with all people and the farm.
- Well organized.
- Work in a warm, humid, rainy environment.
- If you are not familiar with tropical plants and seasons, to learning about the native environment is needed.
Expectations (i.e. responsibilities)
- Coordinating work with the Biodynamic “BD” calendar, implementing overall BD practices like maintaining soil health &fertility, planting, harvesting, compost building, preparations (we use Josephine Porter preps), pest management and record keeping.
- Manage weekly farm meeting and work (ie assessment and purchasing of farm supplies, working with BD calendar (team effort).
- Interviewing, training, and supporting farm crew.
- Overseeing of harvesting, washing, boxing and delivery of produce for market and individuals (possible CSA).
- Knowledge of irrigation systems. Maintenance of the irrigation system (water comes from Waihe’e river, then ditch) We have a new automated rainbird station irrigation being implemented now with water filters, a water tank and a manual water system for the bananas and gardens
- Removal of invasive species (cane, pokey weed, etc) and use of BD and other sprays for pest management.
- Work is 5-6 days per week.
- Network with Maui community for mutual benefit
What we Provide (i.e. benefits - tangible and intangible)
- Private room, utilities, basic staples and a monthly stipend.
- There is a communal farm kitchen, outdoor enclosed shower and bathroom.
- Unpaid vacation time is open, as needed.
- Study of Rudolph Steiner's work available with community educational leader.
Additional Information (e.g. specific training offered, etc.)
There will be a one-month training period provided by present farm manager, who is Biodynamic trained but not certified.
We are a drug and tobacco free environment.
If interested, please contact Christina Chang (808)344-4338