Farm-to-Table Summer Camp Cook
Join us at our unique Farm Camps in the heart of the Hudson Valley! Hawthorne Valley Farm’s Place-Based Learning Center is hiring for our Residential Camps Dining Hall Kitchen staff.
Hawthorne Valley Farm is a place where children can experience a working farm and through active participation learn practical skills, develop social relationships, and gain a deeper sense of self and relationship to nature. Our program activities are designed to bring children and staff closer to nature, each other, and themselves, foster healthy food choices and build strong communities. Our camps offer children the opportunity to spend their summers in a no-tech, nature-based, Waldorf-inspired learning environment on our 900-acre working biodynamic farm. Our kitchen features organic, home-cooked vegetarian meals sourced from our farm, gardens, bakery, kraut cellar and creamery as well as other organic Hudson Valley growers.
- Working in a busy and lively kitchen environment preparing meals for up to 70 campers and staff
- Ensuring compliance with the Columbia County Department of Health camp regulations
- Prepping, cleaning, plating, meals from a pre-approved kid-friendly recipe
- Learning all the food allergies and sensitivities of campers and adhering to specific menu changes due to allergies
- Provide a nurturing and responsive environment to campers, guests, and other staff members
- Helping to ensure smooth operations of the daily needs of the Kitchen by being flexible and attentive to details
- Supporting Dining Hall Manager and Camp Director with upholding all camp food-related protocols
- Experience cooking primarily vegetarian meals for large groups in a commercial kitchen environment
- Knowledge of various food allergies and sensitivities
- Safe Serv certification
- Ability to follow a recipe
- A good worth ethic with an ability to be flexible and work as a team member with all age groups, including campers
- Strong time management, communication, and organizational skills
- The ability to lift and carry 50 lbs
- Previous cooking experience is required
We are currently seeking 3 cooks to help our Kitchen Manager serve three meals per day to our campers and camp staff. The positions runs for 8 weeks, including 2 weeks of counselor training and 6 weeks of camp sessions. The positions call for rotating 6-8 hour shifts six days per week with one full day off per week.
Salary Range - $2,500- $3,500 for the camp season. Salary is commensurate with experience. Room and board is included.
Dates- Mandatory Training: June 12 – June 24
Camp Duration: June 26 – August 5
To apply for a Summer Camp Cook position, please complete this Application Form, send a letter of interest, a current resume and contact information for three work references to Dining Hall Manager Michele Connors-Kowalski at email@example.com.
For more information please visit: Working With Us - Place-Based Learning Center (hawthornevalley.org)