The Development & Communications Director develops the overall fundraising strategy for Quail Springs, sets fundraising goals in collaboration with the Executive Director, carries out the plan to achieve these goals, and communicates goals and progress to the rest of the staff and board. This person also develops the communications strategy for Quail Springs and manages all communications with the public (newsletters, social media, press, etc). Because of our sociocracy-based structure (see above), the Development Director shares decision-making power equally with the rest of the staff. Candidates must therefore be excited about, and ideally already comfortable with, working in a non-hierarchical workplace. We believe this makes for a more sustainable and enjoyable experience for the entire team.
Note that the Development & Communications Director is responsible for holding most but not necessarily all of the below roles. There is also room for the Development & Communications Director to take part in other parts of the organization’s work that are not listed here, where their skills and interests align.
- Design and implement the overall fundraising strategy, including:
- Meet regularly with major donors (via phone, email, or in person)
- Identify and cultivate potential new donors
- Write fall appeal letter and manage mailings
- Manage production of short fall fundraising video
- Create and maintain a campaign landing page for fall fundraising
- Plan and execute in-person fundraising events as needed
- Delegate and collaborate on fundraising tasks with other staff as needed
- Ensure that all donors, large and small, are thanked and appreciated
- Communicate fundraising goals, plans, and progress to Quail Springs staff and board
- Maintain donor database records
- Collaborate with the Executive Director to align fundraising goals with budget needs
- Identify grant opportunities for Quail Springs
- Collaborate with other QS staff to research, write, and edit grant applications and reports
- Attend networking events, and speak at events as needed
- Develop and manage the overall communications strategy
- Write and send the monthly newsletter to our 5,000+ subscribers
- Develop social media strategy and guidelines
- Oversee social media posting and messaging
- Conduct interviews with news outlets as needed
- Identify and pursue new opportunities for reaching a broader audience
- Collaborate with the Program Director on program marketing
- Create visuals for posters, social media, promotions as needed
Qualities & Qualifications of the Ideal Candidate
- 2+ years nonprofit fundraising management experience
- Experience with project management
- Experience with grant writing
- Experience with direct donor asks
- Experience with public speaking
- Ability to share ideas via writing in a clear and compelling way
- Ability to communicate goals and progress to a team
- Ability to identify and connect with potential partners and funders for Quail Springs
- Ability to contribute to an inspiring and motivating work environment
- Ability to create and manage your own schedule
- Clear and compassionate communication skills
- A strong spirit of volunteerism and willingness to engage in community chores (laundry, cleaning, cooking, etc.)
- Enthusiasm for living in community and working collaboratively
- Cultural sensitivity and commitment to dismantling systems of oppression
- LGBTQ+ folks and BIPOC are encouraged to apply
Some people might hesitate to apply because they don’t have absolutely everything on the above lists of qualities and qualifications. Please don’t let that stop you! Most importantly, we’re looking for someone we can rely upon to thoughtfully and skillfully manage our nonprofit’s fundraising campaigns, donor relations, grant opportunities, and communications with the public.
Quail Springs is based near Ventucopa, California in the Cuyama Valley, 1.5 hours from the nearest urban/suburban center.
Working & Living Conditions
This position is approximately 30 hours per week. In addition to the 30 hours per week commitment, we all share in community responsibilities and dinners. The person hired for this position will live and work in the Quail Springs community setting, where there are anywhere from 10-25 other people living and working on the land. You will live in your own small cob house or yurt on the land. The site is remote, with limited communications: there is no cell reception, and the internet and phone service are limited to the central office area.
Quail Springs staff are compensated based on an equal pay structure that aligns with our non-hierarchical workplace. Please inquire for details.
Please take care to fully fill out our online application so we may best get to know you. If your application is approved, we will contact you to set up an interview. We are hard-working folks, so please be patient with our response time! But also don’t hesitate to check back in on the status of your application.
Before a final hiring decision is made, candidates are asked to come out to Quail Springs for a final interview and site visit to be sure of a mutually good fit.
Please let us know if you have any questions. We look forward to reviewing your application!
Application Deadline: July 25, 2021