MESA cultivates a global grassroots network of food and farming leaders to revive community food systems. Through on-farm and online popular education in agroecology and horizontal exchanges for food sovereignty, MESA links ancestral knowledge with innovation rooted in earth stewardship, equitable economies, and multicultural alliances worldwide. The world we are working towards is a world where farmers and indigenous heritage are celebrated as the heart of community resilience and where local food and farming systems nourish our people and our planet.
MESA’s Governance Structure is uniquely decentralized with a cooperative directorship of three cooperative directors: Operations, Partnerships, and Education and four main program staff. Decisions are directed through nine governance circles comprised of three to six board and staff members ranging from internal operations to program areas.
The Operations and Grants Administrator is responsible for wrangling office management, grants administration, and general operations of MESA. This role ensures that office systems, reception and administrative processes function smoothly, grants are tracked and managed, and operational matters are handled in a timely manner. The Operations and Grants Administrator also supports organizational project management, helps build positive and productive working relationships with staff and constituents, and supports reporting and project assignments as needed.
Office Coordination (25%):
- Ensure smooth day-to-day operations of MESA
- Resolve maintenance, comfort, technology, or security issues that arise
- Select, provide access to, and train staff on organizational technology tools required for staff to manage work more efficiently via Asana, Google Nonprofit Suite, Slack, Zoom, etc.
- Maintenance of both physical and digital file management and communications systems
- Provide basic IT, CRM and database support (Civi, Wordpress) and act as primary contact with our IT consultant to resolve technology problems as they arise
- Manage both internal and external requests and ensure they are directed to the right person in the organization
- Provide instructions, and internal communications for team events and meetings
Grants Coordination (25%):
- Manage grant reporting, monitoring and evaluation with program staff including: preparation of regularly scheduled and ad hoc reports; communicate with staff when and what information is needed; and help streamline reporting
- Support grant cultivation, development and submission including: grant prospecting and cultivation, communications with funders; grant proposal strategizing, writing and review; and grant feedback integration
Administrative Coordination (25%):
- Provide support for and coordinate 7-person team of part-time staff
- Ensure partial coverage during office hours (minimum two days per week) to greet visitors, answer and direct phone calls, receive mail
- Assist administrative circle with prioritization and guidance for the following: invoicing and expense tracking; calendar management, travel arrangements, expense reimbursement submissions; preparation of regularly scheduled and ad hoc reports; and project work – i.e. website analytics, survey reporting, expense reporting
Cross Organizational Support:
- Onboarding and Offboarding support ensuring new employees/volunteers receive initial orientation to systems, policies, office access, and order and set up computer hardware as needed
- Manage event planning (1 annual staff retreat, 1 annual fundraiser)
- Participate in the planning for space to accommodate growth of the organization
- Participate as a member of the IT Circle/Work Group
- Comfort/proficiency with Google Nonprofit Suite, CiviCRM, Wordpress, Quickbooks
- Positive, solutions-oriented approach to problem solving
- Effective project and people management skills
- Organize and prioritize projects, tasks and processes
- Strong time management skills – ability to manage and prioritize projects / tasks / processes
- Ability to set and deliver to individual and team goals
- Proficiency with standard office technology / software and web applications
- A high degree of reliability and integrity
- 3+ years of experience with office management / administration
- Interest in supporting a multicultural work environment
- Project management experience and an eye for organizational efficiency
Work schedule: Part-time, hourly non-exempt, 24-32 hours per week, partial remote work opportunities
People of color, trans and gender nonconforming people, people from poor and working class backgrounds, queer people, and women are encouraged to apply.