NORTHEAST ORGANIC FARMING ASSOCIATION OF NEW YORK
The Northeast Organic Farming Association of New York (NOFA-NY) is seeking a committed and dynamic Executive Director to build on its twenty five year history of promoting organic and sustainable agriculture throughout the state of New York; this person will lead an expanding organization into the next phase of education and advocacy for New York state farmers, gardeners, and consumers.
NOFA-NY is the oldest and largest organization in New York devoted to organic and sustainable farming and gardening, and counts over 850 farms among its 1600 members. NOFA-NY's USDA accredited organic certification program certifies over 90% of the certified organic farms in New York. NOFA-NY's Farmer's Pledge â„¢ program now includes over 100 farms.
Since the founding of NOFA-NY in 1983, the number of both certified and uncertified organic farms is growing steadily, and organic gardening and landscaping is expanding rapidly as well. First as an all volunteer organization and now with a small staff, NOFA-NY spreads the hands-on know how of organic food production through its newsletter, annual conferences, and on-farm workshops and field days. NOFA-NY also continues to advocate at the state and federal levels for legislation to enhance organic and sustainable food systems, and to maintain a strong National Organic Program attentive to small scale farms.
NOFA-NY currently has five staff members and a budget of $500,000. It is a 501(c)(3) non-profit educational organization and is governed by a Board of Directors. For more information about NOFA-NY see www.nofany.org.
IDEAL CANDIDATES for this position will:
* Be a champion for the mission of NOFA-NY
* Have experience in agriculture or environmental advocacy
* Have interest and experience in program development and fundraising, and in expanding the reach of the organization
* Possess strong non-profit administrative and management skills, with a proven ability to lead
* Be willing to commit to a substantial tenure and to work effectively with the Board
* Possess the ability to work with a broad range of people and to build broad relationships and coalitions with other organizations and groups
* Have experience in grassroots policy development
* Possess well developed written and verbal communication skills
* Be computer proficient and possess experience using multiple software applications
* Be capable of overnight business travel that may include numerous trips per year
* Possess an advanced degree in a relevant field or equivalent experience
TO APPLY: Email resume and a letter of interest, inclusive of salary requirements, prior to 2/16/09, to: firstname.lastname@example.org (Current President, NOFA-NY), or Scott Chaskey c/o Quail Hill Farm, PO Box 1268, Amagansett, NY 11930. Resume reviews will begin immediately.