Village Health Works, founded in 2006, is a 501 (c)(3) organization with offices in New York City that provides health care in a dignified environment to about 28,000 people in Kigutu, Burundi since opening its doors less than two years ago. It was the only clinic in the country to continue full operations during recent nurse and doctor strikes in the country. Burundi, whose health infrastructure has been decimated over the course of more than 12 years of civil war, is ranked one of the poorest countries in the world. Village Health Works prides itself on its solid partnerships with the very communities it serves, as well as the Ministry of Health, Burundian government, UNICEF, and others. For more information, visit www.villagehealthworks.org
Volunteer Position Overview: VHW is looking for an experienced agronomist to help develop its agriculture program on site in Kigutu, Burundi. The agriculture program is the core component of our Food Security Program, which is under development. Current infrastructure includes: Two annual garden spaces, one acre of newly planted perennial food forest, and a small-scale nursery structure. VHW also has a small agriculture team of minimally experienced local gardeners. The ideal candidate for the VHW agronomist in Kigutu will be able to make use of and grow the infrastructure already in place, help train program staff in agriculture care and techniques, and work closely with the team members to create efficient food production systems on site and to educate people in the local community about how to do so themselves.
The ideal person will be interested in passing on their own knowledge of sustainable agriculture practices and won’t be afraid to get their hands dirty working alongside the team.
Essential Job Functions
• Garden Design; Nursery Management (Perennial and annual plant propagation); Seed saving; Soil building; Animal husbandry; Daily team meetings; Deliver Agriculture education workshops and demonstrations (with team and community members); Regularly coordinate with Medical Director and clinical staff to ensure synchronicity; Network with domestic and international agricultural organizations; and help develop long-term vision for Food Security projects
• Ability to use innovation and creativity to make progress in resource poor settings with very little established infrastructure
• History of successfully managing and strengthening agriculture teams and projects
• Willingness to work with translator and learn some Kirundi (local language); fluency in French an added benefit
• Experienced in using sustainable agriculture practices
• Willing to live in a remote, underdeveloped village and country
• Able to lead and function well as a team player
• Able to write well organized plans and weekly reports for interdepartmental communication
• Self starter and self-motivated with vision for future development
Please email your resume and a cover letter describing your interest and experience to email@example.com
Village Health Works is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applicants with diverse identities across race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, disability and sexual orientation to apply.