Slide Ranch is hoping to find someone with biodynamic experience for this position.
Position: Ranch Steward (Full Time, Resident position)
Reports to: Director of Ranch Operations
Available: Open until filled
Residence: One bedroom cabin
Compensation: $17K-$19K/year + housing, health benefits, food
Position Summary: The Ranch Steward reports to the Director of Ranch Operations, and is part of the Ranch Management Team which also includes a Head Gardener and a Facilities Manager. The Ranch Steward is responsible for managing all livestock at Slide Ranch in a manner consistent with our mission. In addition to livestock management the Ranch Steward coordinates with the Ranch Management Team and assists with other farm facilities maintenance and chores as needed or directed. This position requires living on-site in Slide Ranch provided housing.
* Responsible for monitoring and health of all livestock at Slide Ranch in a manner consistent with the mission of Slide Ranch
* Administers vaccinations and medication in a planned and consistent manner and seeks veterinary help as needed.
* Monitors animal diets; orders and maintains feed, bedding and medical supplies.
* Ensures that all animal housing and enclosures are clean, safe and maintained for educational program access and interaction.
* Manages goat milk production.
* Provides animal orientation to staff and incoming Slide Ranch teaching interns
* Trains and supervises Slide Ranch teaching interns and staff to assist with daily animal chores.
* Manages pasture fencing and feeding to benefit both land and animals.
* Organizes and implements yearly breeding, birthing and hatching schedules in coordination with yearly teaching programs.
* Maintains official records on livestock health and activities.
* Provides regular input to Director of Ranch Operations and Ranch Team about needed repairs and ideas for improving safety and operations around the ranch.
* Assists with maintaining workshop and tools in clean and safe working order.
* Assists with training and orienting all staff and interns on proper use of workshop, tools and machinery before authorizing use of tools.
* Plans and leads weekly ranch educational sessions for interns.
* Oversees maintenance of ranch vehicles to keep them in clean and safe working order.
* Maintains firewood supply.
* Prepares ranch facilities for site rentals, special programs and events.
* Participates in annual health and safety inspections; implements changes as suggested or required.
* Assist Facilities Manager with construction, repair and maintenance projects as needed.
* High school diploma.
* Experience with livestock and animal husbandry including breeding, birthing and health care.
* Commitment to sustainable agriculture and environmental education.
* Carpentry, plumbing, electrical and other facilities maintenance skills.
* Ability to lift 50 lbs. and perform strenuous outdoor tasks related to farm animals; (feed sacks weigh 80lbs. and hay bales weigh 120lbs.)
* Flexibility to provide on-duty coverage on weekends on rotational basis or with other days off, as needed and arranged.
* Teaching experience preferred but not required.
* Ability to work closely and collaborate with a wide variety of people.
* Clean DMV record and valid driver’s license required.
This is a full time, residential position. Room and board, health and dental benefits, paid holidays and vacation, with additional salary of $17k to $19k per year depending on experience. Food is mainly organic and housing is on-site and rustic, in a spectacular location on the coast just north of San Francisco.
No phone calls please. Please mail, email, or fax your resume, cover letter and three references to the address below. This position is open until filled. We expect to fill it quickly. In the cover letter, indicate why this position is of interest to you; describe any relevant experience in animal husbandry, carpentry and general facilities maintenance, training, supervising, teaching, agriculture, and previous experience living in a community.
2025 Shoreline Highway
Muir Beach CA 94965
or email firstname.lastname@example.org
*Please note that Slide Ranch emphasizes diversity in both our programs and our staff. People of all colors, cultures, class, genders, and sexual orientations are encouraged to apply.