The following is a list of organizations and on-going programs offering education and training in biodynamic agriculture and related topics. For up-to-date listings of events and workshops, visit our calendar of events. Information about other learning opportunities may also be available through regional biodynamic groups. Please email email@example.com to add your organization or program to this page. For other educational suggestions please see our page 8 Ways to Learn About Biodynamics.
Education Centers and Training Programs
- Angelic Organics Learning Center (Caledonia, IL) offers weekend workshops on food & farming, farm tours, family overnights and Stateline Farm Beginnings®, a farmer-led training and support program designed to help people plan and launch sustainable farm businesses. 815-389-8455 or www.learngrowconnect.org.
- BDA Biodynamic Farmer Training (United States and Canada), two intensive one-year programs offered by the Biodynamic Association: the Biodynamic Farmer Foundation Year and the Biodynamic Farmer Development Year. For more information and a listing of mentor farms, visit our Biodynamic Farmer Training page, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 262-649-9212 ext 14.
- Foxhollow Farm (Crestwood, KY) offers on-farm classes, farm tours, and internships. 502-241-9674 or www.foxhollow.com
- Hawthorne Valley Farm (Ghent, NY) offers day-long classes, two-week intensives in biodynamics, a Whole Farm Planning Course, summer camps, and farm tours, as well as year-long farm apprenticeships. 518-672-7500 or www.hawthornevalleyfarm.org (NABDAP mentor farm and classroom study program)
- The Josephine Porter Institute (Floyd, VA) offers day-long and week-long workshops on the biodynamic preparations. 540-745-7030 or www.jpibiodynamics.org
- Michael Fields Agriculture Institute (East Troy, WI) offers a CSA planning course and a series of whole farm workshops, including a one-day introduction to biodynamic agriculture. 262-642-3303 or www.michaelfields.org
- The Pfeiffer Center (Chestnut Ridge, NY) offers a one-year part-time introduction to biodynamics, consisting of eight weekend sessions and a final week-long intensive workshop taught by experienced biodynamic practitioners. A winter intensive course is offered annually in mid-January. Monthly workshops are available ranging from beekeeping, draft horses, seed saving, and other biodynamic based topics. A full-time 12-month internship program combines academic work with hands-on field experience. (845) 352-5020 ext 20 www.pfeiffercenter.org
- Rudolf Steiner College, A Center for Biodynamic Education (Fair Oaks, CA) offers a biodynamic farming and gardening workshop series, held one Saturday a month for 8 months (September through May, excluding February), followed by a week-long intensive in June. Classes in basic biodynamics, biodynamic beekeeping, nature perception and other related topics are also offered, as well as a biodynamic apprenticeship. 916-965-0389 or www.steinercollege.edu. (NABDAP mentor farm and classroom study program)
- Spikenard Farm and Honeybee Sanctuary (Floyd, VA) offers workshops and a two-year training in sustainable and biodynamic beekeeping. 540-745-2153 or www.spikenardfarm.org
- Sustainable Settings (Carbondale, CO), a Demeter Certified working ranch and Whole Systems Learning Center, offers residential internships in sustainable living since 1997, NABDAP apprenticships, lectures, 2 day - 2 week intensive workshops, short courses in Biodynamics - full prep making, using biodynamic astrological calendars; permaculture, management intensive grazing, holistic management; raw dairy/ herd management, food preservation, bee guardianship, herbal medicines, wild edibles, draft animal basics, vegetable CSA development; green building; renewable energy. 970-963-6107 or www.sustainablesettings.org
- C-Dar Biodynamic Society (Squamish, BC) offers classes and apprenticeships. 604-898-9101 or www.cdarbiodynamic.org (NABDAP mentor farm)
- Earth Haven Learning Centre (Tweed, ON) is an independently run organization set up to assist farmers and gardeners to deepen their connection with nature and their use of organic, biodynamic, restorative and sustainable practices through workshops and seminars. www.earthhaven.ca/education.php
- Saugeen School for Sacred Agriculture (Durham, ON) offers beginning and advanced workshops and apprenticeships. 519-369-3567 or www.saugeenrivercsa.com/education (NABDAP mentor farm and classroom study course)
- School for the Practical and the Sacred - A Place of Joy (Kootenay River Valley, BC) offers practical hands-on and subtle energy work that bridges the spiritual and physical worlds, where we come to know that we are one with both. Visit soulmedicinejourney.com or email barbara at soulmedicinejourney.com.
- Biodynamic Agricultural College (formerly Emerson College - United Kingdom), offers a distance learning course called Biodynamic Principles and Practice, which makes education in biodynamic agriculture available to students worldwide. www.bdacollege.org.uk
- Biodynamic Education Centre (Australia and United Kingdom), an international college offering a range of educational programs for biodynamic farming and gardening. The courses offered by the Centre have been written and developed over many years of practical experience in the biodynamic method for both large-scale agricultural and smaller-scale gardening systems. Also offers a two-year correspondence course "Certificate Program." www.biodynamiceducation.com
- Taruna College (New Zealand) offers a one-year training in biodynamics. www.taruna.ac.nz
- Biodynamic Agricultural Association of Southern Africa (South Africa) offers a series of six workshops on the principles of biodynamic agriculture, as well as preparation making days and other events. www.bdaasa.org.za
- Crossfields Institute (United Kingdom) in cooperation with the Field Centre will be offering an MSc in Biodynamic Research starting in January 2014. researchingagroecology.org.uk/situated-research