At this time the Biodynamic Association is no longer accepting applications for the 2018 Biodynamic Conference.
We are grateful for your interest and hope you will consider volunteering in the future.
Those wishing to volunteer must complete an application in which they list their availability, skills, and conference events they are especially interested in attending. Applicants will receive a notification of acceptance or decline via email. Those accepted for volunteer positions will be given a volunteer discount code to enter during registration. The code will remove $125 from the main conference registration cost.
Please note that we expect most positions to be assigned in the first round.
If you have any questions about volunteering at the conference, please email Raphael Guzman at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Volunteer Roles and Descriptions
- Lead Volunteer - Orient volunteers to jobs and coordinate tasks for runners. Direct volunteers to sign-in with position lead and find replacements or fill in for any volunteers who do not show up for their shifts. The Lead Volunteer should be at the Volunteer Registration desk 15 minutes prior to the beginning of all volunteer shifts. In this volunteer position, you will also be asked to provide AV support as needed, in collaboration with the onsite AV crew. This may include: helping set up laptops, projectors, audio equipment etc. on site and troubleshoot problems. Experience in AV/tech is essential.
- Setup/Breakdown Support - Assist with any and all tasks related to the physical setup and breakdown of the conference. Collect, carry, and unpack/pack boxes, hang signage and decorations, and assist with other setup tasks. Duties might include moving and stacking tables & chairs, picking up debris, etc. Please note, volunteers for this position must be available prior to the opening of the conference and after the conference closes.
- Registration - Welcome attendees to the conference and prepare them to get the most out of their participation. This will include checking in registrants, distributing materials, answering questions and generally assisting with registration needs. Note that during peak registration periods, the pace can get quite fast. You might also assist with registration area set up and take down.
- Greeter for Registration and Meals - Greet attendees and help them find the correct registration line. Check meal tickets from conference participants at breakfast, lunch, or dinner. You'll be on your feet!
- BDA Membership and Merchandise Table - Help people feel welcome at the conference and answer questions about the conference. Promote BDA membership and answer questions about it. Sell conference shirts and other BDA merchandise, and provide handouts about BDA’s work. Requires some cash handling and mobile/tablet payment system use.
- Morning Movement Assistant - Set up rooms for morning movement sessions and assist instructors as needed.
- Keynote Assistant - Attend to keynote speaker and performer needs before and during the events. Perform "stage manager" duties as instructed. Usher participants into the room and assist them in finding seats. Answer general questions.
- Workshop Assistant - Welcome and assist presenters with set-up 15 minutes before workshops start. Check that all participants entering the room have name badges and help them find seats, introduce presenter, assist with lighting and AV needs, help moderate questions if needed. If a session is being recorded, remind presenter to speak into a microphone and to repeat any questions that are asked before answering. Give presenter 5 minute ending warning and close the session by thanking presenter. Make any announcements requested before participants leave, and return any furniture that has been moved to its original setting.
- Children’s Workshop Assistant - Welcome and assist presenters with set-up 15 minutes before workshops start. Check that all children entering the room have name badges and help them get settled into the room. Ask the presenter how you can best support them during the workshop. This may include helping children with various tasks, escorting children to the restroom, and playing with children. At end of a workshop, ensure that children remain in the room until picked up by a parent. Once all children have been picked up, assist with cleanup and breakdown.
- Runner - Help with various tasks as needed such as checking name badges, checking meal tickets, escorting guests and presenters, running errands (ideal if you know the Portland area and have your own car), supporting AV needs, providing breaks to vendors and other volunteers, and generally stepping in when an area needs more assistance during heavy traffic times.
- Evening Security/Close Down - Provide security during and after evening events and assist staff and participants with any needed tasks.
- Exhibitor Load-In/Out - Assist exhibitors with carrying items between vehicles and conference center. Help with unpacking and setup if needed. Support in the clean-up process.