The Josephine Porter Institute in Floyd, VA is looking for a Farm Operations and Education Assistant to join our team.
POSITION TITLE: Farm Operations and Education Assistant
MISSION: Our mission is the healing of the earth through biodynamic preparations and the practice of biodynamic agriculture. JPI works to support all farmers, gardeners, ranchers, and others in their making and use of biodynamic preparations. You can read more about the Josephine Porter Institute by visiting our website: www.jpibiodynamics.org.
GENERAL DEFINITION AND PURPOSE OF WORK: Reporting to the Administrative Director, the Farm Operations and Education Assistant is responsible for most operational aspects of JPI’s Farm, assisting in making Biodynamic Preparations, and ensuring their quality, presenting for Webinar/Workshop Education.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE POSITION: The Farm Operations and Education Assistant is a part-time position at JPI Farm in Floyd County, VA. Work hours may fluctuate and are dependent on the time of year and organizational needs (preparation at the beginning of the season and end of season, for instance). Education of the broader community is a key component of JPI, and a competitive applicant will have an interest and expertise in this area.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS/ TASKS:
• Responsible for the organic, sustainable management of all operational aspects of agricultural production including: plant propagation, cultivation, succession planting, pest and nutrient management, harvesting, processing, distribution, quality and quantity control of plant materials utilized in Biodynamic Preparation making, and animal husbandry (including future apiary operations and bovine operations.
• Develop, establish, and maintain the nourishment and health of the soil food web of JPI gardens/fields.
• Manage greenhouse propagation of seeds and starts.
• Manage and develop crop rotation.
• Manage mulching and weed control, including procurement of input materials.
• Maintain garden tools and equipment storage; keep inventory and maintenance records.
• Develop, establish, maintain healthy pasture management and disease control.
• Perform routine garden and field maintenance consistent with public demonstration farm education venue
• Familiar with Demeter USA Farm Standards, implementation on the JPI Farm Organism, required documentation, and continuing education for best practices for Biodynamic Preparation Making.
Biodynamic Preparation Support
• Assist the Master Preparation Maker/Pfeiffer™ Technician in production of biodynamic preps.
• Assist the Master Preparation Maker/Pfeiffer Technician in assuring quality control of preparation making, storage, packaging, and distribution of finished preparations
• Participate in Workshops, public visits and educational outreach events as needed.
• Aid in the development and execution of Online Educational Events
• Perform administrative and operational tasks essential to the smooth operation of the farm.
QUALIFICATIONS: KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
• Minimum 3 years of experience in organic vegetable production and management, post-handling, and processing for sale and storage.
• Experience in animal husbandry, herd management, rotational grazing of bovine species, specifically
• Demonstrated understanding and application of Biodynamic principles and ethics.
• Knowledge and experience with medicinal herbs and perennial systems
• Experience with heavy farm equipment use and basic maintenance.
• General maintenance skills including: carpentry, plumbing, mechanical and electrical.
• Exceptional multi-tasking, organizational and time management skills.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (both written and verbal).
• Ability to work both independently and as part of a team; ability to work closely and communicatively as a peer colleague with Administrative Director and Master Preparation Maker.
• Computer proficiency, including Excel, Microsoft Office.
• Demonstrates high level of personal and ethical standards.
• Ability to understand, interpret and enforce policies in an accurate and equitable manner.
• Ability to complete and maintain applicable training and certifications as necessary.
• Have a valid driver’s license with a good driving record.
• Mentorship and/or teaching experience.
• Ability to deal with Fellows, colleagues, and guests in a professional, timely, fair, and confidential manner.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS OF THE POSITION: Applicant must be comfortable working outside in physically demanding environments, including climate irregularities, cold weather, and snowy winters. Applicant must be able to lift 50 (+) pounds regularly.
COMPENSATION: This is a part-time, year-round position. Hourly rate is commensurate with experience.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with " Farm Operations and Education Assistant" in the subject.