Assistant Farm Manager in Nova Scotia
We are a small-scale farm sustainably growing certified organic vegetables and herbs for local markets and restaurants since 1992. The farm is six acres of field crops, high tunnels and greenhouses. It is located along the mudflats of the Bay of Fundy, 1hour from Halifax.
Currently seeking an assistant farm manager for a full time growth-oriented position.
• Have a keen interest in sustainable agriculture and local food.
• Be highly motivated, hardworking, in good physical condition, and comfortable in a high-paced environment.
• Have 2-3 years experience in growing vegetables and herbs organically.
• Be a people-oriented person with effective leadership skills
• Exemplify excellent teaching skills and be able to mentor interns in horticulture and farming practices.
• Be organized, attentive to detail, and able to devise efficient work plans.
• Be able to work alongside others in a cooperative environment and communicate well.
In this position you will be asked to lead, train and guide a crew of 4-8 interns.
Responsibilities will be suited to your abilities, with resources and guidance available from the owners who primarily take care of planning and marketing.
• Be responsible for vegetable production by implementing work goals.
• Be responsible for the instruction of interns in individual and group settings; train interns through demonstration and explanation communicating basic organic principles from seed to harvest.
• Lead by example and set a work pace for others by demonstrating punctuality, high energy and self-direction.
• Utilize critical thinking to adapt and prioritize work plans and respond flexibly to changes in the work environment; supervise multiple concurrent activities; assess individual strengths and weaknesses within a team and delegate accordingly.
• Attend weekly meetings; be receptive to feedback; record observations and suggest improvements to the farm.
We aim to provide an empowering environment to further personal and professional growth. In this position you will be able to:
• Develop practical experience and focus on growing specialty vegetables under experienced direction, growing in the field and in high tunnels.
• Work with healthy soil, have access to a wide variety of tools and the use of new, clean and orderly harvest facilities.
• Actively engage with a diverse group of interns and volunteers.
• Have comfortable accommodations on-site.
• Enjoy family-style meals, the opportunity to cook with others and eat fresh healthy food.
This is a salaried position.
Deadline to apply is February 4, 2011 or until position is filled.
For details please apply by sending cover letter with resume:
Four Seasons Farm
RR#1, Maitland, Nova Scotia, Canada B0N 1T0